recorderjournal.com

World

Maryland police identify gunman in newsroom shooting

Share
Capital Gazette puts out newspaper the morning after shooting

The suspect, Jarrod W. Ramos, is charged with five counts of first-degree murder in one of the deadliest attacks on journalists in US history.

And even with Ramos in jail, McCarthy said he looked out the window for him again on Friday morning.

But the shock we experienced doesn't compare to the void felt by the Capital Gazette newspaper staff as they continued to do their jobs despite the murders of five of their people. You know, like at the vigils, I don't know if you saw, but we got a lot of love around here, you know?

When I called before Shabbat to tell her I was thinking of her and her family, she told me they were all still numb from the shock, that several of the victims were known and admired by just about everyone in town, and that her son came home that terrible night dreading going to five funerals. The paper reported Friday that Richardson said she was advised "we were doing all we could do" in response to Ramos' threats.

In 2012, Ramos filed a defamation lawsuit against the paper and a columnist over a July 2011 story that covered a criminal harassment case against him. Feeling that he might be experiencing some problems, the woman had encouraged him to seek counseling.

She said Ramos told her about mental health issues he'd been having, so she suggested a clinic. In 2015, a judge upheld the dismissal on appeal, according to court documents and news reports. The Gazette ran a story reporting on the case and Ramos apparently became enraged.

She said it was "heartbreaking" to see the names of the victims in the newspaper a day after the shooting. McCarthy also said that Ramos was "smart enough to walk the edge so that he did not quite violate the law". The concerns were so dire that the federal agency decided that "in order to mitigate potential security risk, Mr. Ramos will not be permitted back on BLS premises", read one email from an agency employee. He was ordered held without bail on Friday.

Court records show a man charged with killing five people at a Maryland newspaper was sacked from a government IT contractor because of concerns about his "suitability". The report also noted Ramos had not registered any firearms in Maryland.

District of Columbia Superior Court records show Ramos sued Virginia-based Enterprise Information Systems in 2014 over lost wages.

The judge quickly dismissed his case. WHAT HAPPENED THURSDAYInvestigators said the suspect, armed with a shotgun, entered the Capital Gazette office and deployed smoke grenades. It was at that time last Thursday when a gunman with a grudge against the paper attacked with a shotgun.

Then we learned that the Post Bulletin's advertising director, who worked at the Capital Gazette from 2008 to 2013, knew four of the five people killed. Authorities responded within minutes, and the suspect was taken into custody without an exchange of gunfire.

A sign outside The Annapolis Bookstore, a block from the Maryland State House, starkly expresses the depth of sorrow many are feeling in this quaint waterside capital of about 40,000 near the Chesapeake Bay. Still others have said the technology could lead to mass surveillance systems like those used in China. The suspect had previously only been publicly described as a white male in his late 30s who is a Maryland resident.

The alleged gunman, identified by CNN as Jarrod Warren Ramos, 38, was arrested after the shooting.

She told Hartley that she believed she was laid off from her job at a bank because of Ramos' contacts with her employers, and she first contacted police about Ramos in September 2010. I didn't. But one of the surviving employees of The Gazette, quoted in numerous reports of the shooting, is the son of a childhood friend who I've kept in touch with over the years and whose father was my fifth-grade Hebrew school teacher.

"As publisher of the Capital Gazette for nearly 40 years, this tragedy hits very close to home", Nancy Merrill, president of the family foundation, said in a statement.

Share