Louis area readies for third day of demonstrations

A protester throws a tear gas canister during a protest in the Central West End Friday night after the Jason Stockley verdict is announced. Credit KMOV

Chanting "Free our people now!" and using cellphones to shine a light on the system of "injustice", activists occupied the downtown streets between the jail and city hall-taking up a collection to help cover legal fees for those arrested. Police then used pepper spray on the protesters. A firm foot pushed his head into the pavement.

"Someone needed to say it", said Taylor, 44, president of the Ethical Society of Police, an association formed by black officers in 1972 to combat racism within the St. Louis police department and improve community relations. But after many of those protesters had left a second more confrontational protest start along Delmar Boulevard.

According to the Post-Dispatch, protesters also confronted and taunted riot gear-wearing police officers for about 45 minutes. The footage shows police in riot gear and officers with bicycles surrounding a group of protesters with shouts of "get on the ground" and spraying them with an unknown substance before handcuffing and hauling many of them away. But Bell said he understands the anger that sometimes leads to violence and property damage. We are dispersing, ' said Pastor Doug Hollis about 6:30 p.m.

CHANG: And weren't those the same words the protesters were chanting just last Friday when the verdict came down?

Earlier in the evening, a handful of demonstrators threw bottles in response to a police officer making arrests, the first indication that the protest could turn violent. Mass. Father Art Cavitt, who is the pastor and also director of the St. Charles Lwanga Center in St. Louis, said he kept the church, located just north of downtown, open throughout the day September 15 for anyone in need of a place to pray or seek pastoral care.

The St. Louis County Police Department said Sunday that among those arrested were two male minors.

O'Toole said the character of the demonstrations changed after darkness fell Friday, and the "agitators" outnumbered the peaceful demonstrators. After the demonstrations, organizers announce that the daytime protests over.

Protesters take to streets in St. Louis for fourth straight day
Mayor Krewson says institutional racism divides St. Louis city

During a high-speed chase with Smith, Stockley was recorded telling his partner he was "going to kill" Smith "don't you know it".

The mayor and police chief have said protests have been largely nonviolent, although there's been some vandalism and violence at night after organized protests are over.

Stockley, 36, testified that he felt he was in danger because he saw Smith holding a silver revolver when Smith backed his vehicle toward the officers and sped away. Stockley's DNA was on the weapon but Smith's wasn't.

CARSON: Correct. Whose streets, our streets has been a common protest theme and chant since the Ferguson protests three years ago.

Mr Stockley's lawyer dismissed the comment as "human emotions" during a risky pursuit.

Hundreds of officers had mobilized after another day of peaceful protests over the acquittal of Jason Stockley in connection with the death of Anthony Lamar Smith.