recorderjournal.com

Science

Father of alleged Manchester bomber arrested

Share
Paul Ryan

The attack killed 22 people - mostly teens and children who were leaving the concert Monday night. Upon her arrival in Brussels, May said the U.S.

Many at the concert were young girls and teens enthralled by Grande's pop power. "This is not us", the 51-year-old Abedi said in a telephone interview from Tripoli.

A German magazine, meanwhile, reported that British police informed their German counterparts that Abedi had received paramilitary training in Syria.

The Manchester United and Manchester City Football Clubs announced they have jointly pledged 1 million pounds (R 16 707 000) to the We Love Manchester Emergency Fund.

Greater Manchester Police say two men were arrested overnight Thursday in Manchester and in the Withington area south of the city.

On Friday morning police were searching a property in Moss Side having earlier raided a property in Wigan last night, where "potentially suspicious items" were found, leading to evacuations and the bomb squad being called in. Neighbours recalled him as a tall, thin young man who often wore traditional Islamic dress and did not talk much.

She said that the concert would raise money for the victims of the attack and their families.

He said his neighbours were a "nice quiet family".

"They blocked the whole street", he said, adding that he saw the man handcuffed and taken away in a vehicle. "I haven't seen police come to his house". Ramadan Abedi said one of his other sons - he has four and two daughters, according to his official identification documents - had been arrested and is being questioned by police.

But they were left "furious" by repeated leaks of material shared with their US counterparts, which provides an awkward backdrop for Prime Minister Theresa May's meeting with US President Donald Trump at the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation summit in Brussels later Thursday. He spent 25 years in Britain before returning to Libya in 2011 after Gadhafi was ousted and killed in the country's civil war.

McCaul also said the evidence so far suggested that "we're not dealing with a lone wolf situation". The deployment, created to free up police officers to pursue the terrorists behind the attack, is the largest on the British mainland in decades.

Rudd said Britain's increased official threat level will remain at "critical" as the investigation proceeds and won't be lowered until security services are convinced there is no active plot in place.

News sources in the U.S., citing intelligence officials, have said Abedi's mother was fearful her son had been radicalised.

One eyewitness told the media that the man had been held in a swoop by undercover armed police.

"It's very clear that this is a network that we are investigating", Manchester police chief Ian Hopkins told reporters. Officials said 119 were also hurt.

Corbyn promised to reverse the police cuts, many of them implemented by May in her previous role as interior minister, and said Britain could not be "protected on the cheap". The National Health Service said 75 people were hospitalized. However, according to her social media announcement, Grande has no intention of letting the terrorists behind the Manchester attack win or reach their goal of making people fearful of living, of enjoying and even celebrating their lives and freedom they are privileged to have.

Share