Man killed after trying to grab soldier's gun at Paris airport

Not Released

The man, identified as 39-year-old Ziyed Ben Belgacem, apparently intending to open fire on passengers, a prosecutor said.

Earlier on Saturday, he was involved in a shooting and then a carjacking. It was found later near Orly.

A man attempted to grab a weapon from a military patrol at Orly airport's southern terminal early this morning close to a check-in desk.

He wrestled one of the soldiers to the floor, trying to take her gun. According to French broadcaster BFMTV, he had sent his relatives a text reading: "I screwed up, I shot the police".

A father of a man, who attacked servicemen at Paris Orly Airport, denied on Sunday that his son was a terrorist.

His father said: "He [Belgacem] called me at seven, eight in the morning and said, 'there you go, Papa.' He was extremely angry, even his mother couldn't understand him".

Later he entered a bar in Vitry-sur-Seine on the other side of Paris and opened fire with his air gun without hitting anyone.

A police source described the attacker as "a radicalised Muslim known to intelligence services".

He had a history of thefts and violent robberies.

Police later detained Ben Belgacem's brother and father, and raided his home in Garges-les-Gonesse, a Paris suburb.

He didn't succeed and he was neutralised.

"Sentinelle" is the government's stepped-up security response to the January 2015 Islamist attack on the satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo which killed 12 people. The force has 7,500 soldiers, half deployed in the Paris region and half in the provinces.

Saturday's attack was the second on security forces this year.

The soldier was threatened by the man but "struggled and managed to keep her weapon, fighting against her attacker on the ground", a statement posted to Facebook by the French military read.

Dominique was also at the airport and told Sky News: "I heard shouting and I saw the soldiers who were holding a person". A Koran was found on his body.

On Thursday, a letter bomb exploded at the Paris offices of the International Monetary Fund, injuring a secretary who suffered burns to her hands and face.

Paris is on high alert after yesterday's two attacks. "Afterwards, we heard two shots", he told BFM TV.

The airport, the second largest serving the French capital, is about 20 miles from the central Paris residence of the British ambassador where the royal couple are staying, the Telegraph report said. Please follow their instructions (safety area).

Ministers said the latest attack showed the importance of France's ongoing state of emergency, which has been extended several times despite human rights concerns raised by the UN.

France continues to be on heightened vigilance after the November 2015 terrorist attacks that killed 130 people, including 90 at the Bataclan nightclub in Paris, and an attack in Nice last July that killed 86 people when the driver of a truck plowed into a crowd of people who had gathered to watch Bastille Day fireworks.

Presidential candidate Emmanuel Macron paid tribute to the soldiers at the airport.

He said they have demonstrated one more time calm control and professionalism.